Peacock Piper proudly serves the litigation and transactional legal needs of its clients engaged in the global movement of goods. From our base in Long Beach, California, we represent the maritime industry responsible for the ocean carriage of commercial cargo between overseas locations and the U.S. West Coast, the marine terminals responsible for discharging that cargo, and the inland transportation companies responsible for moving cargo to its ultimate destination. Regardless of where our clients fall in this dynamic chain, based on our experience handling major casualties, high-stakes trials, and contentious transaction negotiations, we provide thorough and accurate case assessment, creative strategies that account for our clients’ business goals, efficient and responsive service, and zealous advocacy.
To learn how we partner with our maritime, marine terminals, and transportation clients please click on the buttons below.
Peacock Piper’s maritime attorneys provide legal representation of the highest caliber on the United States’ West Coast for the world’s vessel owners, charterers, operators, and managers. We are ideally located to respond to vessels trading in Southern California and beyond. Our California, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii licensed attorneys are subject matter experts with over 100 years’ experience defending and representing our clients in large, complex casualties and litigation. We are proud to be listed as the local correspondent for the majority of the International Group P&I Clubs and have experience representing vessel interests in a variety of matters including:
- 24/7 casualty response and investigation.
- Oil spill response and Incident Command representation & assistance.
- Defense of crew, longshore, and passenger personal injury & death claims.
- Defense of cargo claims.
- Defense of charterparty and bill of lading disputes.
- Defense and pursuit of vessel arrests and attachments.
- Defense of government agency maritime casualty investigations.
- Defense of government investigations and prosecutions relating to violations of MARPOL and other environmental crimes.
- Defense of government civil penalty assessments for violations of environmental regulations relating to air emissions and ballast water.
- Local enforcement of contractual arbitration and forum selection clauses.
- United States legal advice in support of foreign arbitrations.
Peacock Piper’s attorneys work closely with container, passenger, liquid bulk, and dry bulk Marine Terminal Operators (MTOs). We understand the dynamic nature of MTO business and closely partner with our clients to successfully address their legal needs, including those involving regulatory compliance, lease and commercial contract negotiation, casualty response, and litigation. Our extensive experience representing MTOs enables us to offer pragmatic, business-oriented solutions. Our experience includes the representation of MTOs in matters including:
- Outside General Counsel services.
- Lease negotiation, rate resets and other negotiations with port authorities.
- Contract review and negotiation, including by way of example, access and use agreements, vendor agreements, construction contracts and non-disclosure agreements.
- Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) Schedules and other FMC-related issues.
- Environmental compliance and assistance with the associated regulatory bodies (including compliance with California storm water and air quality regulations).
- 24/7 casualty and spill response.
- Full service litigation defense, including claims involving personal injuries, cargo damage, demurrage, contract disputes, fraud, qui tam actions, damage to terminal infrastructure, alleged violations of the Clean Water Act, and much more.
Transportation and Logistics.
Peacock Piper handles a wide range of commercial issues involving transportation and logistics companies, including motor carriers and warehouses. We have extensive experience with tractor trailer accident litigation, third party logistics liability, cargo loss and damage, breach of contract and personal injury and wrongful death matters. Our experience includes the representation of transportation and logistics companies in matters including:
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death.
- Trucking Accidents.
- Premises Liability.
- Cargo and Property Loss and Damage.
- Breach of Contract Claims.
- Commercial Disputes.
- Intermodal Activities.
- Pollution and Oil Spill Liabilities (Civil and Criminal).
- Government Investigations (NTSB, OSHA, USCG, Law Enforcement).
- Products Liability.
- Risk Mitigation and Transfer.
- Insurance Disputes.
- 24/7 Incident/Accident Response and Investigation.