Unlike law firms that claim to “litigate” construction and engineering disputes, Peacock Piper’s attorneys actually try construction and engineering cases. Our attorneys have an unsurpassed track record for obtaining verdicts in favor of our clients in this complex and dynamic industry. Regardless of whether the project involves a light rail system, a refinery or a brewery, we understand how to synthesize, simplify and explain complex facts and concepts to judges and juries. We have successfully tried cases for our construction and engineering clients in California, Missouri, Illinois and Colorado.
Our experience includes the representation of construction, construction management and engineering companies in a variety of matters including:
- Breach of contract claims.
- Misrepresentation and fraud claims.
- Professional negligence claims.
- Cost overrun claims.
- Delay claims.
- Products liability claims.
- Personal injury claims.
- Contractor licensing claims.
- Actions to recover on contractual defense and indemnity agreements.
- OSHA investigations.
- $93 million breach of contract, professional negligence, misrepresentation and fraud claim brought by the Bi-State Development Agency involving the design and construction of an 8-mile light rail extension in St. Louis, Missouri. After a four-month jury trial in Missouri state court (Clayton), our attorneys obtained a defense verdict on all claims and a multi-million-dollar judgment on our client’s counter-claim.
- $22 million breach of contract and disgorgement claim under California Business & Professions Code 7031 for failure to maintain a contractor’s license brought by the Judicial Council of California, Administrative Office of the Courts involving the maintenance and repair of all courthouses in Southern California. After a two-week jury trial in California state court (San Francisco), our attorneys obtained a defense verdict and a $4.6 million judgment on our client’s counter-claim.
- $89 million breach of contract, professional negligence and misrepresentation claim brought by Coors Brewing Company involving the design and construction of new brewery in Virginia. After a six-week jury trial in federal court (Denver), the jury awarded Coors $1.
- $11 million professional negligence and strict products liability claim brought by three refinery workers injured in an explosion at the Paramount Refinery in Paramount, California. After a three-week jury trial in California state court (Compton), our attorneys obtained a defense verdict on all three claims.
- $17 million design defect, professional negligence and fraud claim brought by Premier Air and United States Aviation Underwriters involving the collapse of an airport hangar during a storm at the St. Louis Regional Airport in Illinois which damaged two private jets. After opening statements before a jury in Illinois, the case settled for significantly less than all pre-trial demands.
- $8 million breach of contract and common counts claim brought by ABM Industries involving its subcontract for maintenance and repair of all courthouses in both Southern and Northern California. After a multi-week, bifurcated bench trial in California state court (Los Angeles), our attorneys obtained a defense verdict on all claims.
- $1.5 million breach of contract and bad faith claim brought by our client against Paramount Refinery for its failure to defend and indemnify our engineering client against personal injury suits filed by Paramount’s injured employees. After a one-week bench trial in California state court (Long Beach), the court awarded our client the $1.5 million sought, and the case settled on appeal for more than the amount awarded.